You’ve probably noticed spiralized vegetables make a beautiful – not to mention healthy – substitute for pasta, but what about using them as toppings for a colorful pizza? It took very little time to convince ourselves this was a great idea. And while we may have just been searching for an excuse to ask the Test Kitchen to develop another delicious pizza recipe, it worked out in our favour.
We spiralized carrots, zucchini and yellow squash for our Spiralizer Veggie and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pizza. We also sliced red onion for an additional pop of color on our pie. While we found this combination of vegetables to be particularly appealing to both our eyes and stomachs, you can easily mix and match your favorite seasonal veggies.
We used our favourite store-bought pizza crust to save us some time in the kitchen but making your own pizza dough in the bread machine only takes about 20 minutes. We spread sun-dried tomato pesto evenly over the crust and then placed mozzarella slices over the pesto. After placing the veggie spirals between two paper towels to help remove most of the moisture, we spread them out over the cheese then topped them with, you guessed it, even more parmesan cheese.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 450 degrees and it’s pizza time. While you could definitely make this pizza for a Friday night in with the family (it’s a great way to get the kids to eat more vegetables), it would definitely be the topic of conversation at any dinner party. The colorful spirals pop on top of the white mozzarella cheese and it’s almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 thin crust Italian pizza crust
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Using a Spiralizer, cut carrot, zucchini and yellow squash in spirals. You will need about 1 cup of each. Place spirals between two layers of paper towels and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible; set aside. Reserve any remaining spirals for another use.
- Spread Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto in an even layer over pizza crust. Place mozzarella slices over pesto. Arrange veggie spirals evenly over cheese. Sprinkle with red onion slices. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Place pizza directly on oven rack. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is browned, 8 to 10 minutes.